Interim Coordination Mechanism (ICM)
The “Interim Coordination Mechanism for the Sustainable Management, Use and Protection of shared Living Marine Resources in the Caribbean and North Brazil Shelf Large Marine Ecosystems”, in short the “CLME+ SAP ICM” or “ICM”, it was formally established during the month of June 2017.
The ICM responds to a call for action under the CLME+ Strategic Action Programme (SAP Strategy 3), and Decision 8.a. of the 1st Meeting of the UNDP/GEF CLME+ Project Steering Committee, held in Cartagena, Colombia, in January 2016.
It is at the heart of the wide-ranging Alliance and Partnership for the Caribbean and North Brazil Shelf Large Marine Ecosystems (“CLME+ Alliance” and “CLME+ Partnership”).
The ICM will enhance regional coordination and collaboration, and support oversight and integration of actions for sustainable fisheries and for the protection and sustainable use of the marine environment.
It will further promote the up-scaling of actions by all sectors of society, to achieve the long-term vision of the CLME+ SAP and the development of sustainable, ocean based economies.
SAP Vision: “Healthy Marine Ecosystems that Provide Benefits and Livelihoods for the Peoples of the region”
- Contributes to the coordinated implementation of the CLME+ SAP
- Monitors and evaluates, and reports on SAP implementation, with a focus on (a) habitat degradation; (b) pollution; and (c) unsustainable fisheries, while giving due attention to climate change
The ICM thereby
- Helps consolidating the framework for Regional Ocean Governance in the CLME+ region
- Leads the reporting on the “State of the Marine Ecosystems and associated Economies” (SOMEE) for the CLME+ region
- Catalyses the progressive expansion of the Global CLME+ Alliance and Partnership,
- Promotes region-wide expansion and replication of positive action, by all sectors of society
In addition to CLME+ SAP priorities, new and emerging issues affecting the marine environment may be put on the agenda of the ICM.
The ICM and the UN Sustainable Development Goals
The ICM will support the countries of the CLME+ region in their efforts to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), in particular SDG 14 (“to conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources”), and other relevant international commitments.